Please forgive me for my extended absence over the past two months. My blogfast came as a result of the whirlwind that was my life during the months of December and early January which starved me (and you) of my creativity. I truly regret putting you on the back burner for so long, but such is life I guess. I hope I can make it up to you.
Phew, now that’s done lets move on.
I don’t know about you, but I am ready for a fresh start for the new year! I thought I’d start with a recipe that is just about the healthiest meal I can think of. For all you new year’s resolution dieters out there, this recipe will certainly give your weight loss a kick start.
A giant bowl of leaves you say? Well, these are not just any leaves.
This super green soup is packed with vitamins and minerals and yet is super low in calories. It features three main green veggies: Swiss chard, Collard greens, and Kale, all of which are known for their weight loss and disease fighting properties. All three are filled with Vitamin A (which helps promote healthy skin and vision), Vitamin C (which boosts immunity), and Vitamin K (which prevents against osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, stroke, and Alzheimer’s disease).
All three are high in fiber which keeps you feeling full and helps promote regular digestion. They are packed with antioxidants which helps protect against cancer and iron which prevents anemia (helpful for us vegetarians who miss out on a huge source of iron from red meat).
Basically, you might as well be eating body armor.
I used Tofu as a source of protein in this soup but if you’re not a fan (or a vegetarian) you can substitute chicken, turkey, sausage, or even potatoes to add some flavor and texture to the soup. I thought about adding in some cabbage, but didn’t have any on hand…but it might be a nice addition if you have some lying around.
What You Need:
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 4 cups Vegetable broth
- 1 package Tofu, drained and cut into small cubes
- 1/2 bunch collard greens, center ribs and stems removed, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, center ribs and stems removed, chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 bunch kale, stems removed, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- Heat 1 T olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened (about 5 minutes).
- Add in 3 pressed garlic cloves and stir for 1 minute.
- Add broth, tofu, collards, and 2 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add Swiss chard to pot and cook for 5 minutes, then stir in 3 cups Kale and 2 tsp lemon juice and cook for additional 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, chop the remaining 1 cup kale and place in a small bowl.
- Add lemon zest, 1 pressed garlic clove, and the remaining 1 T oil to chopped kale and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Season soup with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls.
- Mound kale mixture on top of soup in bowls and enjoy!
Prep time 10 minutes, Cook time about 30 minutes
Servings: 6-8 large bowls
Recipe adapted from BonApetite.com